Sunday, June 7, 2015

Photos-of-the-Week #214 Carry Me Back To Old Virginny, June 2014


These three photos are self explanatory. I'm back in the east after six months and approximately 12,000 miles of this first trek of 2015. Actually, the trek began on December 8, 2014 and ended when I arrived back at my eastern base camp in Keyser, West Virginia at 10 PM yesterday, June 6, 2015.

These three state welcome signs represent the three states I've hung my hat in over the past 45 years. First, was Maryland. Second was Virginia. Third was West Virginia (of course, my official state of residence for the past five years is South Dakota). I am showing the three states in the order I crossed into them as I came from my western travels.

You may find this interesting. I came from Ohio and entered West Virginia (at Wheeling). Then I entered Pennsylvania, south of Pittsburgh going through Washington. Then I reentered West Virginia from Pennsylvania at Morgantown. Then I entered the western panhandle of Maryland from West Virginia. Then I, again, entered West Virginia from Hancock, Maryland into Berkeley Springs, West Virginia. Finally, I left Berkeley Springs and entered Frederick County, Virginia where Winchester, Virginia is located. I lived in the Winchester area (never within the city limits) officially until 2010 when I changed my residence to South Dakota.

I don't know if there are any other places in the U.S. where you can enter and leave the same state three times without re-crossing the same border and pass through two other states and into a third state. 

2 comments:

  1. Are you settling down for a while? Will there be more treks in the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me? Settle down? Not likely?

      I will be here for a few months while I liquidate as much (hopefully everything) from my storage units and attend the Veteran Speakers Retreat I used to coordinate (now I'm a "civilian" again). I also have to take care of some mods/renovations on the interior, some cosmetic things on the exterior and some routine maintenance on the van and then I'll heading out again, probably in the fall, on my next major trek. It will likely be a swing through the south and then back out west again.

      Delete