Sunday, May 31, 2015

Photo-of-the-Week #213 The Queen and the Heir Apparent, Badlands National Park, South Dakota, May 2015


Here she is, the Queen Big Horn Sheep and her Heir Apparent perched high on her rocky throne in Badlands National Park in my "home" state of South Dakota.

Of course, I don't know if she is the "official" queen, but she certainly looked like royalty on this rocky precipice with her young one resting right below its mother. I can't tell if the young one was a prince or princess. I took this shot from probably about two-tenths of a mile away.

My little camera continues to amaze me, as does Photoshop. The female big horn sheep and her little one were only a small part of a larger photo of the mountain. With the help of Photoshop I was able to crop the photo to capture just the two animals and enhance them a bit so you could get a good glimpse of them.

Big horn sheep wander around the Badlands freely. During my last trip I parked next to a big horn female, got out and took photos while she was grazing. Capturing wildlife is a bit more challenging than shooting landscapes. If you've had the opportunity to shoot photos of wildlife you know what I mean.

This was the only wildlife I saw on this visit to the Badlands. But, I'm glad I had to opportunity to catch this one. I hope you enjoy it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment