Monday, January 5, 2015

Photo-of-the-Week #192 - Tiny Town - Tiny Post Office, Tinnie, New Mexico, December 2014


So, could this photo represent one of the reasons the U.S. Postal Service is losing money every year?

This is a tiny post office in the town of Tinnie, New Mexico, a tiny town in a group of tiny towns I passed through on my way to California. Personally, I don't see any problem a tiny post office like this one. I was once served by a tiny post office in Cross Junction, Virginia. However that tiny Virginia post office served a large part of the rural area of Frederick County, Virginia.

The thing that struck me is I would drive through tiny town after tiny town, all within only a few miles of one another - possibly two to five miles - and each tiny town had another tiny post office similar to this one. It seems to be that there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of tiny post offices like these across the U.S. Each one has an overhead including to salary for one to two people plus one or more mail carriers, rent or construction cost, land cost, building and grounds maintenance, utilities, insurance, etc. It would be my guess that most of these post offices don't generate enough revenue to pay for their overhead.

So, why not consolidate three, four, five or even more of these tiny post offices into one central, slightly larger post office, eliminating a large amount of overhead and expense. Then, since most of these tiny towns typically has some kind of convenience or general store to support the local residents, let the stores set up a USPS kiosk to offer most basic services. The USPS would sell the postage to the stores at a discounted rate. The store then offers the postal services as an additional line as they do with gasoline and other products.

It's my thought that, while it might not completely eliminate the USPS annual deficit, it would certainly put a dent in it. As an aside, I dropped off some Christmas cards I needed to mail at the tiny Tinnie, New Mexico post office. But, I already had my stamps, so I just deposited the cards in the mail collection box. I could have just as easily dropped thin in a collection box at the local general store. 

6 comments:

  1. My understanding on the postal problems is that Congress forced the USPS to fully fund it's retiree medical program & such.
    It's tough to compete with the private sector when you have to take a huge chunk off the top. If I was a cynic I might suspect the private industries lobby's had something to do with that handicap.

    A few years back Willard Scott was talking about what was the biggest thing in the lives of all those people 100 years old (or better) that he'd talked to as part of his morning thing. Turned out it was the post office & RFD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All excellent points, Rob. I'm not so your cynical thought is very much of the equation. But, I'll wager there is a lot of Congressional pork in these micro post-offices. Some of these voting districts are pretty disbursed and the congressional reps have to work hard to get the votes to stay in their respective offices. WV Senator Byrd was big on this - there's even a Coast Guard facility in landlocked WV thanks to the late, good senator. Also, Congress has so far opposed eliminating Saturday deliveries, too. And, of course, the postal workers union has no small hand in all this either. But, considering that the USPS is supposed to operate as a private sector (quasi-government - whatever that means) business, the federal gov't sure has a lot to say and a lot of control.
      Ed

      Delete
  2. FWIW the post office has those set rate priority mail cardboard boxes, the best thing for sending stuff in terms of ease.
    You can print the label at home, get free tracking & save a little money. They come to your house everyday as it is & will pick it up from you than AND the work on Saturday.
    Hell of a deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are on the money on Priority Mail flat rate service, Rob. Frankly, I've had an account with UPS as a small business for about 40 years and today you have to be a logistics engineer pretty much to send anything via UPS or FedEx. The USPS can be a little less complicated, but they can also be exasperating, too.

      Ed

      Delete
  3. Hi Ed, I am from a distant hill in Ky. I know of at least four Post Offices that were located in small country Grocery Stores. When I lived in Nevada I helped deliver the mail. Things were so spread out in Nevada that you only got your mail on either odd days or even days of the week. Monday we would go north and deliver mail for approximately 25 miles over mainly dirt roads and on Tuesday we went in the other direction. So Monday. Wednesday, Friday you got your mail and the people the other way got there mail on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. One of the addresses was for an Elementary School where we also delivered their milk for the week. I was 17 that year.........................................................................................HoboJoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi HoboJoe --

      Well, I hear you on that, my friend. And that's probably what should be happening today in a few locales. I mentioned the idea of the local grocery or general store acting as the PO. I think that's very realistic - with one larger, full-service regional PO centrally located within maybe a 20 or 30 minute drive from anywhere in its service area. The vast majority of mail requirements could be handled by a kiosk in a general store or convenience/grocery store. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, there is such an arrangement in Duck, NC (on the Outer Banks) where there is a store that acts as the PO. There are so many people in the U.S. now (less than half as many in 1950 as there are today) that I think there are a lot less of the really rural areas where the post office could do such an alternating delivery schedule any longer. Plus, I'm not sure the unions or the USPS in DC (under Congress's mandate) would allow it either.

      Ed

      Delete