Sunday, September 28, 2014

Photo-of-the-Week #178 "The Great White Way," Times Square, New York City, New York, December 2002


I haven't made it to Times Square to experience a New Year's Eve celebration, yet. And, while it is on my "Life List" of things I'd like to experience once before I leave this life, it is not one of the higher priorities. Time is, of course, growing shorter and there are a lot less New Year's Eves in my future than those that have already passed.

Most people in the U.S. have, since it was first televised, watched the crystal ball drop on top of the New York Times Building, to the right in the photo, ushering in the New Year. Despite the fact that I grew up and lived within about 10 or 12 miles from the spot in this photo, I was never any closer than the millions of others watching the event on TV.

Of course, this is part of the theater district of mid-town Manhattan. You often hear of this stretch of Broadway called "The Great White Way" so nicknamed because of "The Lights of Broadway." This is an iconic scene, unique to New York City. It is as identifiable as the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (both of which are technically part of New Jersey) and the George Washington and Brooklyn Bridges.

And, for me, a trip to New York City would be incomplete without spending time in Times Square and a wonderful ride from Battery Park to Staten Island and back again, one of my personal favorite things to do when I'm in New York City. I've done it many times and was often a fun part of an evening with a date when I was in college.

This photo was taken in December of 2002, about 15 months after the horrendous event we now refer to as 9-11. So, I was close to New Year's Eve, but not close enough. I was in New York City (although we were actually staying in New Jersey) with a group of friends for a theater weekend. If I remember correctly, we were snowed into our hotel in New Jersey the next day where we made the most of it. I believe we went back into the City on Sunday before heading to Virginia, whence we had traveled.   

No comments:

Post a Comment