Sunday, November 1, 2015

Photo-of-the-Week # 235 – Happy 7th Anniversary Day To Me – November 1, 2008


This is a view from the front door and porch of my residence and the world headquarters of Oakhill Press and Oakhill Recordings for nearly six years. I affectionately called it Oakhill Ranch. It was located just outside Winchester, Virginia in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. This day, exactly seven years ago today, was the first day I was no longer residing on Oakhill Ranch and Oakhill Press and Oakhill Recordings were no longer headquartered at this location.

This was, as I sometimes refer to it, my “Emancipation Day.” I had made a decision several months earlier that when the long term lease I had on this property terminated I would not renew and I would leave. This bucolic vista greeted me everyday for most of those six years (except for those days when I was traveling). I have displayed other photos of the house and property in Photo-of-the-Week posts in the past. To be honest, there wasn't any view from the house that I didn't cherish. But, I loved this view from the front probably most of all.

I've been very fortunate and blessed during my lifetime and professional career. I have only worked (and operated my businesses) outside my home at some commercial or similar location for a total of about ten years at the most. The places I've lived and operated my businesses for the other approximately 40 years, have been idyllic. While some may feel I wasn't as financially successful as many entrepreneurs, my quality of life made my life very rich indeed and definitely better than many of the others.

Finally, the day came when it was time for me to make another lifestyle choice. It was with no small amount of anxiety and trepidation that I made the decision and took the action. So, here I am, exactly seven years later with nary a single regret for my decision and looking forward to an even richer future as a location independent individual and entrepreneur.

For anyone who finds himself or herself at a crossroad and place of decision regarding your future, I am in full empathy with you. As the saying goes, “been there, done that.” My simple advice is that you weigh your options, have some idea what you would like your future to look like and then make the decision and take the action. DO NOT become a victim of the “paralysis of analysis.”

Could you make a mistake? Of course! Does that make it the end of the world? Absolutely not! And remember, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Even if you make a mistake, you will learn something. Mostly, you'll learn more about yourself, who you are and what you are seeking in life. As stated, I have not regretted my choice or decision for a single minute over these seven years.

If you want to talk with someone who has, as I said, been there and done that, contact me. My contact info is here. Ed's Contact Info 

One last note about this photo. It is not a very high definition photo because I took it with the very basic and simple first digital camera I bought to enter the world of digital photography. But, I like the photo and even though it's not one of the higher resolution photos I took in succeeding years with a better camera, it's still a keeper for me.


Live free and be happy. EH

1 comment:

  1. “Emancipation Day” Excellent expression memorializing being set free from a lifestyle that not only worked no longer, but impeded you from discovering what does work.

    It takes courage to follow your star as it guides you to fulfill your life career, one much fuller than merely the material life. One of becoming a well rounded and complete individual, a person of honor and noble character.

    ReplyDelete