Sunday, July 5, 2015

Photo-of-the-Week #218 Petroglyphs In The Desert, near Quartzsite, Arizona, March 2015


There is so much to see, learn and experience in our world. It's a pity life is so short. And, it's more a pity that so many of us don't realize and accept the reality that life is so short until we're on the "back nine" of the 18 hole golf course of life. Thus, we don't take advantage of all it has to offer when we're young, full of energy and adventure.

This week's Photo-of-the-Week is one of several photos I took of ancient petroglyphs carved in rock formations in the Sonoran Desert outside Quartzsite, Arizona this past March. I had hoped to reach this location by the second week of January at the latest. Due to the untimely demise of My McVansion's heart (engine), I was delayed until the second week of March. I spent a week camping with four women and another guy on BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land outside Quartzsite. It was a very enjoyable week getting to know several new people and learning more lessons about the "lifestyle." I make it a habit of learning from everyone I meet. I hope they gain something from me, too.

Swankie Wheels, aka Charlene Swankie, and Lois Middleton planned to venture a short distance from our campsite to view some petroglyphs. A petroglyph is an ancient etching in stone depicting animals, events and other parts of the lives of prehistoric people who lived in the region where petroglyphs are found. It's worth noting petroglyphs are found around the world as remnants of other prehistoric societies. The rest of our camping group were invited to join the short expedition. We readily joined in and became a small band of explorers.

I didn't, personally, do any research this time, regarding the estimated age of the petroglyphs we viewed nor who the authors of these ancient carvings were. On my next venture into that area I'm going to look into the history and its significance.

It's obvious from looking at these ancient carvings they've been there a very long time. The wear of weather and water has taken its toll on these remnants of a time and society long, long since passed on by many millennia. Would I have thought to look for these myself? Not likely.

So, for this I tip my hat and say thanks to Charlene and Lois for inviting me along and introducing me to another fascinating facet of nomadic travel and vandwelling. As the great philosopher, Baseball Hall of Famer, New York Yankee catcher, Yogi Berra, said, "You can observe a lot just by watching." I observed these petroglyphs.


No comments:

Post a Comment